Heart health is important all year long. Because February is National Heart Month, now is the perfect time to review some simple tips to help your heart stay healthy. According to Manish S. Dadhania, MD, cardiologist on staff at SMC, a healthy lifestyle will make your heart healthier.
Top 10 Healthy Heart Tips:
- Give up smoking.
- Get active. 30 minutes of walking a day can reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Manage your weight.
- Eat more fiber. Approximately 30 grams of fiber a day can reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Cut down on saturated fat. Foods high in saturated fats can increase cholesterol.
- Get your “5 A Day.” Eat at least five portions of a variety of fruits and vegetables every day.
- Cut down on salt. Eating too much salt can increase the blood pressure.
- Eat fish. Cold water fish like sardines and salmon are a good source of omega-3 fats.
- Drink less alcohol. Alcoholic beverages contain a lot of calories which causes weight gain.
- Read the food label. Always check to see how many calories, how much salt, sugar and fat are in certain foods and beverages.
Call 9-1-1 if you experience chest pains, shortness of breath, or numbness in your arm, shoulder or neck, as these are all symptoms of a heart attack.